Did my first All Grain this afternoon

Methods, ingredients, advice and equipment specific to all-grain (mash), partial mash (mini mash) and "brew in a bag" (BIAB) brewing.

Did my first All Grain this afternoon

Postby JubJub » Saturday Jan 06, 2007 12:55 am

Well everbody else is doing it so thought I would try it.

For those who haven't seen it, I followed Duane's recipe for an APA.

3.5kg pale grain
0.15 carra pils
0.15 crystal

5g Chinnook @60
5g Pearle @60
50g cascade @ listed intervals 5 additions

and 20g amerilo at @0 - left sit for 25mins

Preboil gravity 1.048 - 15L :shock:

Fermenting SG 1.045

Tastes pleasantly hoppy and flavoursome :D

Couldn't be bothered working out the efficiency, but I think it's pretty ordinary.
JubJub

Postby Ed » Saturday Jan 06, 2007 1:57 am

Good stuff JubJub. You guys sure like your hops :lol: That'd be around 62% mash efficiency, not bad at all on a first go and it'll improve as you go. Did you add water post boil to top up? (I noticed your pre-boil gravity is lower than post boil). If so, have you extra room in your boil pot to handle some extra litres of run-off? It would equal less dilution and higher extraction.

Anyway, nice work.

Cheers, Ed
So the bartender says to the horse "Why the long face?"
Ed

Postby JubJub » Saturday Jan 06, 2007 10:42 am

Thanks for the reply Ed,

I topped up the boil about halfway through with about 1 litre of run-off. By the end I lost about 1 litre of Hop/husk/irish moss trub stuff. So I had 9 litres that I topped up to 14 litres with plain water. Next time I will save the runnoff and freeze it? or even better put it on the stove and boil it in another pot. My boilers are only 20qt but really 15 litres start off is about it.

It is really quite addictive isn't it.

Cheers,

Jub
JubJub

Postby Ed » Saturday Jan 06, 2007 12:23 pm

JubJub wrote:It is really quite addictive isn't it.

Cheers,

Jub

And even more so once you taste that first one. You won't believe how good it is :D

I think the idea of bringing a second pot into use is a good option. You can just keep sparging away and get good volume. I did it for a little while and just directed 1/2 the run-offs reasonably evenly to both pots (to get roughly the same gravity boil in each). Just split the hops to both kettles.

Cheers, Ed
So the bartender says to the horse "Why the long face?"
Ed

Return to Grain brewing