Storing fresh wort

Methods, ingredients, advice and equipment specific to all-grain (mash), partial mash (mini mash) and "brew in a bag" (BIAB) brewing.

Storing fresh wort

Postby Beerdrinker32 » Monday Oct 02, 2006 3:25 pm

thinking about doing 40L ag batches and keeping half the wort for brewing the following week? will it stay fresh or have a big chance of nasties growing in there? cheers :)
Beerdrinker32

Postby Beerdrinker32 » Monday Oct 02, 2006 3:26 pm

wrong section :oops:

[Moved -- Oliver :wink: ]
Beerdrinker32

Postby rwh » Monday Oct 02, 2006 4:06 pm

I wouldn't do this. In order for it to keep for the week you'd pretty much have to have it sterile. This means that there can't be any foreign bacteria in there, a situation that is quite difficult to achieve.

One way to do it might be getting one of those fresh-wort containers that you can buy from the HBS, then refilling with the HOT wort, then tipping it to make sure that all of the inside surface has come into contact with the hot wort. This might sterilise it sufficiently to last a week.

I reckon you'd be better off buying a second fermenter and doing your two AG batches at the same time.
w00t!
rwh

Postby ACTbrewer » Monday Oct 02, 2006 7:59 pm

I will be putting hot wort into sanitised cubes to store. That's what ESB do with fresh wort kits, and they reuse their cubes.
ACTbrewer

Postby Duane » Tuesday Oct 03, 2006 8:42 am

Duane

Postby Cortez The Killer » Thursday Jan 25, 2007 8:48 am

From what I've heard from brewers in Wollongong - the no chill method is the go

I've used it once - (basically letting the wort cool overnight in a cube) but am yet to taste the results - it tasted great in the fermenter though :o

The no chill convinced me to start AG cause I didn't need a chiller and wouldn't waste a heap of water and with the copper prices - I would have otherwise been really hesitant to make the leap.

But now I'm glad I did

Cheers
He came dancing across the water.
Cortez, Cortez. What a killer!
Cortez The Killer

Postby Aussie Claret » Thursday Jan 25, 2007 8:53 am

I'm a regular No chiller, simply due to the local water restrictions. After the boil when the wort is still very hot (90's), I transfer into a sanitized Jerry can, squeeze out as much of the head space and you'll be ok, as the wort is above pasterising temperatures (65c).

When transferring try to minimise the amount of splashing.

You can store wort in this way for lengthy time periods.

AC
There's nothing wrong with having nothing to say - unless you insist on saying it. (Anonymous)
Aussie Claret

Postby scblack » Thursday Jan 25, 2007 9:13 am

The FreshWort brews you buy at the HBS is just fresh wort stored.

No difference to what you are contemplating.
"Not all chemicals are bad. Without chemicals such as hydrogen and oxygen, for example, there would be no way to make water, a vital ingredient in beer." - Dave Barry.
scblack

Postby Ross » Thursday Jan 25, 2007 2:59 pm

Yep - no problem - go for it :)

cheers Ross
http://www.craftbrewer.com.au
Hops, Grain, Yeast & Brewing Supplies
Ross

Postby chris. » Thursday Jan 25, 2007 7:01 pm

I do this too.
The only downside I've found is a decrease in hop aroma. I like big, late hop additions :)
I've recently been inverting the cube after filling & sealing. I let it sit on it's end for 10mins. Then I rapid cool the cube in an ice bath. I'm finding much better aroma & flavour results using this method.
Last edited by chris. on Thursday Oct 11, 2007 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chris.

Postby Swifty » Monday Jan 29, 2007 6:49 am

So there would be no problem putting the wort in the fermenter to let it cool overnight rather than cooling and pitching the yeast on the same day? I've been using ice blocks and a tub of water but it takes quite a while anyway and would prefer to leave it overnight to cool to pitching temp and save water.
Swifty

Postby SpillsMostOfIt » Monday Jan 29, 2007 7:01 am

I believe more than a few people do this.

As I understand it:
If the fermenter is sealed so that no nasties that might make your beer infected (bacteria, cockroaches, rats) can get in, you are okay. The airspace in the fermenter won't worry the wort overnight. Oxygenation appears to be an issue only when the wort is hot or when it has yeast in it after the aerobic phase.

I think it may have benefits over sticking it into a cube then into the fermenter as there is one less vessel and one less transfer of the wort to introduce infection risk.
No Mash Tun. No Chill.

No confirmed fatalities.
SpillsMostOfIt

Postby Ross » Monday Jan 29, 2007 7:06 am

Swifty wrote:So there would be no problem putting the wort in the fermenter to let it cool overnight rather than cooling and pitching the yeast on the same day? I've been using ice blocks and a tub of water but it takes quite a while anyway and would prefer to leave it overnight to cool to pitching temp and save water.

Exactly the way i do it :) If using dried yeast, just simply pitch when ready. If using liquid yeast, you will need to aerate the wort.

cheers Ross
http://www.craftbrewer.com.au
Hops, Grain, Yeast & Brewing Supplies
Ross

Postby Swifty » Monday Jan 29, 2007 7:14 am

Thanks guys, will be doing this from now on. It's a pain waiting for the wort to cool in the bath and I just don't have the money for a chiller.
Swifty

Postby BierMeister » Monday Jan 29, 2007 4:17 pm

Never tried, but don't any of you have chill haze with your beers or do you only use this method when brewing dark type beers.
Sounds like Beer O'clock.
BierMeister

Postby SpillsMostOfIt » Monday Jan 29, 2007 5:38 pm

Someone (on this forum, I think) wrote something that I just love.

Paraphrasing -

Problems with clarity can be easily addressed by using a pewter tankard.
No Mash Tun. No Chill.

No confirmed fatalities.
SpillsMostOfIt

Postby OldBugman » Monday Jan 29, 2007 5:48 pm

They dont get clarity issues in the fresh wort packs.
OldBugman

Postby gregb » Monday Jan 29, 2007 7:44 pm

SpillsMostOfIt wrote:Someone (on this forum, I think) wrote something that I just love.

Paraphrasing -

Problems with clarity can be easily addressed by using a pewter tankard.

Was I, although I prolly swiped it from someone somewhere else.

Cheers,
Greg
gregb

Postby Aussie Claret » Tuesday Jan 30, 2007 8:44 am

BierMeister wrote:Never tried, but don't any of you have chill haze with your beers or do you only use this method when brewing dark type beers.

Nope, no chill haze, well no more than usual, and I treat with polyclar and filter so no problems with this method for me. Also add Irish moss or one of the derivatives and you should be fine.

AC
There's nothing wrong with having nothing to say - unless you insist on saying it. (Anonymous)
Aussie Claret

Postby lethaldog » Tuesday Jan 30, 2007 3:28 pm

Couldnt you just chill wort then store, its fine going in the fermenter so why not a cube?? :lol: :wink:
Cheers
Leigh
lethaldog

Next

Return to Grain brewing