Mash PH

Methods, ingredients, advice and equipment specific to all-grain (mash), partial mash (mini mash) and "brew in a bag" (BIAB) brewing.

Postby Ed » Tuesday Feb 06, 2007 6:49 pm

That should be OK, as ideally you want a deep bed for fly sparging.

Cheers, Ed
So the bartender says to the horse "Why the long face?"
Ed

Postby chris. » Tuesday Feb 06, 2007 7:17 pm

Puh!... Fly sparging is for people with way too much time on their hands! :wink: :lol:
Last edited by chris. on Thursday Oct 11, 2007 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chris.

Postby lethaldog » Tuesday Feb 06, 2007 7:57 pm

Im gonna have to try batch sparging but the way i figure it, im hopeless and have to have my head over it the whole time so i might as well be doing something while im there :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Leigh
lethaldog

Postby SpillsMostOfIt » Tuesday Feb 06, 2007 8:14 pm

Get yerself a wooden spoon and tap the side of the tun. It will ensure that nothing sticks to the side and addresses your 'other' need... :wink:
No Mash Tun. No Chill.

No confirmed fatalities.
SpillsMostOfIt

Postby Ed » Tuesday Feb 06, 2007 8:56 pm

Don't listen to that chris fellow Leigh, he's an evil batch sparger :twisted: :lol: Watch your efficiency drop off 5 to 10% if you'd like to give it a go :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

Cheers, Ed
Ed

Postby lethaldog » Tuesday Feb 06, 2007 9:38 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Maybe ill just stick to my fly sparging then, im quite happy with 75-80% :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Leigh
lethaldog

Postby Cortez The Killer » Wednesday Feb 07, 2007 9:33 am

I've done 2 AG batches - batch sparging and got between 78-81% both times

Cheers
He came dancing across the water.
Cortez, Cortez. What a killer!
Cortez The Killer

Postby Ed » Wednesday Feb 07, 2007 9:50 am

I get around 85% extraction batch sparging and around 90+% fly sparging. This can vary depending on a few factors though. As for system eficiency, well I find that varies quite a bit, especially since I try not to transfer any break or debris. So when using low AA hops, I have more litres left behind in the kettle which I account for.

Cheers, Ed
Ed

Postby chris. » Wednesday Feb 07, 2007 8:53 pm

Ed wrote:Don't listen to that chris fellow Leigh, he's an evil batch sparger :twisted: :lol: Watch your efficiency drop off 5 to 10% if you'd like to give it a go :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

Cheers, Ed

It's a compromise I'm willing to make :lol:
Last edited by chris. on Thursday Oct 11, 2007 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chris.

Postby illywhacker » Friday Feb 23, 2007 5:02 pm

Ed wrote:What's your grain bed depth and it's relation to the tun width?

Cheers, Ed

i'm new to ag and getting even worse efficiency - about 50% - so i must be doing something pretty wrong.

i use 2 cylindrical esky's, so they are a fair bit taller than they are wide. i had thought that perhaps my gain bed was too deep. is this a valid thought?

i have not been stirring duruing the hour, so it appears this may be a (large?) factor as well.

i have been convinced by the batch spargers so far, but do guys recirculate your first few litres of run-off, or put it straight to the kettle.

cheers for help with any of the above.
illywhacker

Postby rwh » Friday Feb 23, 2007 5:07 pm

If you're batch sparging it doesn't matter so much what the dimensions are because you stir the whole lot up between batches. Stirring every 15 minutes is essential to eliminate any cold spots, and this is also a good time to check the temperature and top up with boiling water if it gets too low.

You will need to recirculate the first few litres of each batch otherwise you'll end up with grain husk and other material in your kettle.
w00t!
rwh

Postby OldBugman » Friday Feb 23, 2007 5:07 pm

Definitely stir.

Definitely recirculate.
OldBugman

Postby illywhacker » Friday Feb 23, 2007 5:12 pm

rwh wrote: You will need to recirculate the first few litres of each batch otherwise you'll end up with grain husk and other material in your kettle.

i haven't been recirculating as the stainless steel braid i use hasn't permitted any grist to get into the kettle, but it seems that efficiency is also helped through recirculation? I thought recirculating was really fly sparging.

how many litres do you guys generally recirculate?
illywhacker

Postby rwh » Friday Feb 23, 2007 5:27 pm

The idea is that you are building up a filter consisting of the grain husks themselves. If you recirculate you'll notice that the first few litres are pretty cloudy because they have the grain dust dissolved in them. Once you recirculate a few litres (I normally do about 3) you'll notice it start to clear.

I wasn't under the impression that it improves efficiency in any way...

Have a look at How to Brew for more details if you want, though from memory it's mainly focussed on fly sparging.

http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter17.html
Last edited by rwh on Friday Feb 23, 2007 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
w00t!
rwh

Postby chris. » Friday Feb 23, 2007 5:36 pm

rwh wrote:Stirring every 15 minutes is essential to eliminate any cold spots, and this is also a good time to check the temperature and top up with boiling water if it gets too low.

I disagree. Stirring every 15mins is by no means essential.

It's essential stirring at mash in & definatley a good idea before the 2nd run-off.
Last edited by chris. on Thursday Oct 11, 2007 9:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
chris.

Postby rwh » Friday Feb 23, 2007 5:37 pm

Provided you have pre-heated your mash tun? Otherwise you'll have cold spots towards the sides, and especially in the corners. Also if your mash tun is less than perfect at insulating then the whole thing will slowly drift downward.
w00t!
rwh

Postby chris. » Friday Feb 23, 2007 5:42 pm

rwh wrote:Provided you have pre-heated your mash tun? Otherwise you'll have cold spots towards the sides, and especially near the corners. Also if your mash tun is less than perfect at insulating then the whole thing will slowly drift downward.

I generally do pre-heat my tun. But again this is not essential.
What are you mashing in rwh? anything insulated should not have any problems.
Could it be that the slow drift downwards is due to taking the lid off every 15mins (to stir) & as a consequence your letting heat escape?
Last edited by chris. on Thursday Oct 11, 2007 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chris.

Postby rwh » Friday Feb 23, 2007 5:44 pm

To tell you the truth, I don't see it drift down all that much, maybe half a degree over the hour? I'm mashing in a rather old esky. I agree that if you pre-heat you could get away without stirring it.
w00t!
rwh

Postby chris. » Friday Feb 23, 2007 5:51 pm

rwh wrote:To tell you the truth, I don't see it drift down all that much, maybe half a degree over the hour? I'm mashing in a rather old esky. I agree that if you pre-heat you could get away without stirring it.

The only reason I could see for stirring during the mash is maybe trying to get more of the converted sugars out & into solution?
Due to Ed's advice I have tried the 30min stir on my last 2 batches & to tell you the truth I'm not sure if I've noticed any great jump in efficiency. Maybe I'll try this stirring every 15mins a run on this weekends batch & see if I notice any difference.
Last edited by chris. on Thursday Oct 11, 2007 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chris.

Postby SpillsMostOfIt » Friday Feb 23, 2007 8:16 pm

I firmly believe that there is sufficient difference in every element of the processes from one brewer to another that it is completely possible that one finds *process A* to work fabulously and that another finds same process to be completely awful (and vice versa).

I don't see brewing as a continuous process, so the slightest difference between two (or more) brewers can result in a difference in outcome.

This makes the whole thing interesting, but... :wink:
No Mash Tun. No Chill.

No confirmed fatalities.
SpillsMostOfIt

PreviousNext

Return to Grain brewing