1st AG

Methods, ingredients, advice and equipment specific to all-grain (mash), partial mash (mini mash) and "brew in a bag" (BIAB) brewing.

Re: 1st AG

Postby Clean Brewer » Wednesday May 21, 2008 10:49 pm

Hello all,

Interesting topic this one, very good reading, I was just thinking about this today actually and would like to get some feedback on how long most of you brewers used kits for before you started AG?

Time is a massive factor in my life(not enough of it) and I guess Ill just be doing kits for a while(1 step at a time), but at the same time am trying to learn about all the bits and pieces I keep reading in relation to additions to kits to make them better and towards certain styles. I have(2nd brew) done a ND Brewing Fresh Wort Kit(Norwest Pale Ale) and did find it very different but very tasty in flavour compared to the couple kits i've done.

I am very impatient when it comes to doing things and when I start doing something new(home brewing), I want to do it full on(comes from being a good chef), but at the same time, time doesn't allow as I work lunch and dinner and have a 7 year old(plays rugby league) and a 17month old daughter(little miss)..
My next step is kegging first and when the kids get a little older(not to), I will be starting experimenting AG.

Its just like food, a science..
To be updated shortly....

HOMEBREW: IF I HAD TO EXPLAIN, YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND
Clean Brewer

Postby Kevnlis » Thursday May 22, 2008 8:48 am

Clean Brewer wrote: would like to get some feedback on how long most of you brewers used kits for before you started AG?

I did kit and bit brews for a little over 4 years. I was helped by family and friends who have collectively been brewing for lifetimes. I also did a lot of reding of books and on-line research as I slowly progressed into partial brewing.

I have been doing AG for nearly a year now and still have not learned a fraction of what there is to know!

It does take A LOT more time, do not let anyone fool you. It also takes a considerable amount of money to get started.

I suggest advancing at a pace with which you have the time and finances. Start with a 20L or so stockpot to do partial boils (this will come in handy throughout your brewing life). Get a small 6 pack esky and a large stainless sieve to do steeps. These are small relatively inexpensive steps that will give you an idea of the extra work involved.
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby Clean Brewer » Thursday May 22, 2008 9:08 am

Oh good, time will only allow me to go at a slower pace, this forum is a wealth of knowledge. I feel it is just like starting an apprenticeship all over again, and if its like cookery, you will never know everything and will learn something new every day(except in hervey bay). :)
To be updated shortly....

HOMEBREW: IF I HAD TO EXPLAIN, YOU WOULDN'T UNDERSTAND
Clean Brewer

Postby Kevnlis » Thursday May 22, 2008 9:18 am

Clean Brewer wrote:Oh good, time will only allow me to go at a slower pace, this forum is a wealth of knowledge. I feel it is just like starting an apprenticeship all over again, and if its like cookery, you will never know everything and will learn something new every day(except in hervey bay). :)

Hervey Bay is not all that bad, try Bundy on for size ;)
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby James L » Thursday May 22, 2008 10:45 am

I've been brewing for just over a year. and i have just managed to get my final piece of AG equipment... I reckon the impetus for this has been in this forum...
I freely admit that I was Very Very Drunk....
"They speak of my drinking, but never consider my thirst."
James L

Postby PaulSteele » Thursday May 22, 2008 8:25 pm

FINAL?!?!

that may be what you tell the missus, but i think we all know better.....

:D
PaulSteele

Postby James L » Friday May 23, 2008 10:23 am

final piece of equipment to get the ball rolling, but i have many things still on the list...

I thought i'd better start producing some beer otherwise the g/f will start asking questions....
I freely admit that I was Very Very Drunk....
"They speak of my drinking, but never consider my thirst."
James L

Previous

Return to Grain brewing