Buying grains for first AG

Methods, ingredients, advice and equipment specific to all-grain (mash), partial mash (mini mash) and "brew in a bag" (BIAB) brewing.

Buying grains for first AG

Postby timmy » Tuesday Jan 15, 2008 12:49 pm

Hi all,

Am keen to get my first AG up and going after reasonable success in doing my first partial. I'm planning on putting an order together for my local decent HBS and I wanted some suggestions on what malts I should buy. Over the next couple of months I want to make:
- A Belgian Wit
- A Berliner Weisse (using the new Wyeast strain)
- An APA
- An Aust Sparkling
I'd also love to have a stab at making a NS lager along the lines of the Knappstein but that might be a bit beyond my skills at the moment....

So I reckon I need some pilsner malt for the wheats and some (guessing here) MO malt for the other two. Can anyone make a better suggestion?

Also, for my partial I cracked (to put it mildly) my grains in the blender on the ice-crusher setting. I say 'mildly' because it nearly ended up as flour. Am I right in saying that it will only affect sparging? If it will cause too many other problems I'll probably buy the grain cracked.

Cheers,

Tim
timmy

Re: Buying grains for first AG

Postby drsmurto » Tuesday Jan 15, 2008 1:09 pm

timmy wrote:Hi all,
<SNIP>
- An APA

I'd also love to have a stab at making a NS lager along the lines of the Knappstein but that might be a bit beyond my skills at the moment....

APA i have made a few times and i personally prefer using pilsner malt. I have used JW ale malt and BB ale malt in the past but i think the weyerman pils was the best. Add some munich, a bit of crystal for colour (either light crystal or something more interesting such as caramunich), maybe a bit of melanoidin. You can make it as complex or as simple as oyu like. Some ppl use almost soley ale malt with a touch of crystal. Huge amounts of hops, i tend to go for 40IBU for a 1.052 OG. my best to date used amarillo for bittering and flavour and then a huge amount of cascade, chinook and amarillo at flameount and again dry hopped.

Knappstein i made quite simply by using weyerman pils with 5% melanoidin. 100% nelson sauvin but here's the trick. I only added it from 20 mins on. Its such a high AA (12-13 %) that using enough for flavouring still got me to 35-40IBUs! Its not hard as long as you cant ferment it at lager temps. I used wyeast 2000 but thats cos i dumped it on the yeast cake after a czech then german pils had been done. Recipe here

timmy wrote:Also, for my partial I cracked (to put it mildly) my grains in the blender on the ice-crusher setting. I say 'mildly' because it nearly ended up as flour. Am I right in saying that it will only affect sparging? If it will cause too many other problems I'll probably buy the grain cracked.

My mill crushes quite fine so ends up relatively flour like in parts, husks still mainly in tact. It will depend on what manifold you have in your esky. I saved up and went for the beerbelly manifold - false bottom and that is working a treat. Sparge is so easy.

HTH
Cheers
DrSmurto
drsmurto

Postby KEG » Tuesday Jan 15, 2008 1:22 pm

as long as the husks are relatively intact you won't have any problems - otherwise you might get excessive tannin extraction.
KEG

Postby Ross » Wednesday Jan 16, 2008 6:48 am

Timmy,

i'd suggest a Nelson sauvin summer ale. 4.5kg of MO + 500gms of wheat with 1 x 90gm pack of NS.
Fermented with US-05. Simple & tastey. One of the most popular recipes I've made. If you are interested I'll dig out the recipe.

Cheers ross
http://www.craftbrewer.com.au
Hops, Grain, Yeast & Brewing Supplies
Ross

Postby beerdrinker » Wednesday Jan 16, 2008 10:57 pm

Hi Ross im interested if you could find the recipe :D
Jesus was a homebrewer
beerdrinker

Postby beerdrinker » Thursday Jan 17, 2008 1:05 am

I think i found it on your site :wink: the bananamber looks interesting,do you do anything to sanitise the bananas? cheers
Jesus was a homebrewer
beerdrinker

Postby Ross » Thursday Jan 17, 2008 6:37 am

No, I simply peel & freeze the bananas. Then defrost & add to primary as the beer nears completion.

Cheers Ross
http://www.craftbrewer.com.au
Hops, Grain, Yeast & Brewing Supplies
Ross

Return to Grain brewing