What to spend my money on first?

Methods, ingredients, advice and equipment specific to all-grain (mash), partial mash (mini mash) and "brew in a bag" (BIAB) brewing.

What to spend my money on first?

Postby drsmurto » Tuesday Nov 20, 2007 11:07 am

Ok, so i just sold one of my temprite units so have some cash to spend.

I need a few things for my AG setup to improve my technique.

Options are -
1. blow all the cash on a CFWC.

2. buy a refractometer and a digi thermometer.

3. buy/build a stand to brew on rather than the outdoor setting.

Any thoughts?

Cheers
DrSmurto
drsmurto

Postby lethaldog » Tuesday Nov 20, 2007 3:43 pm

Well the refracto and digi thermo will set you back about $80 total so i would probably start there as you can probably live without the rest :wink: :lol:
Cheers
Leigh
lethaldog

Postby drsmurto » Tuesday Nov 20, 2007 3:45 pm

Digi thermo i am eyeing off is this one - Link

I want the one with 0.2 C accuracy.

Other option is a plate chiller......
drsmurto

Postby lethaldog » Tuesday Nov 20, 2007 3:50 pm

I have a normal spike digi that works fantastic that i got from ross for $12, not quite as high tech as the one your looking at though but even so at the extra cost in and your still only looking at about $120
Cheers
Leigh
lethaldog

Postby regan » Wednesday Nov 21, 2007 6:31 am

dr s i picked a similar one up from a kitchen supply store a wile back $15- only 1 deg accuracy but the best part is the built in alarm. if the temp rises up 3 degrees or drops 3, an alarm sounds, i put down my beer for a second and then adjust the burner.

i also have one with the display on the end of the probe .1 degree. i only bring that out if i want to be anal waste my time and have hot sticky fingers :lol:
beer-o-beer
regan

Postby Chris » Wednesday Nov 21, 2007 6:41 am

You only bring it out when you want anal? :shock:

Sounds like a complete pain in the arse.
A beer in the hand is worth two in George Bush...

"They say beer will make me dumb. It are go good with pizza"
Psychostick
Chris

Postby regan » Wednesday Nov 21, 2007 6:49 am

thats not what your mother said 8)
beer-o-beer
regan

Postby KEG » Wednesday Nov 21, 2007 7:43 am

ouch! :lol:
KEG

Postby drsmurto » Wednesday Nov 21, 2007 8:37 am

OI!

None of that shite in my thread.... :evil:

So i played around with the figures to try and best spend my cash. Ended up going a little over what i got for my temprite but i have ordered a plate chiller, hop filter for the kettle and a refractometer. I have a few mercury thermos that i dunk into the mash and sparge water etc so will make do with that for now. They are more accurate than most digi thermos anyway.

Money left my account 24 hours after it arrived! Not a bad effort.

Had to take Lethals advice and upgrade to a refract - the hydrometer is 10 years old now and due for some long service leave. Will also make testing SG of my beers in the 5L demi johns which up until now i havent bothered with grav readings will put the digi thermo on my xmas wish list.

Did i mention the chiller and hop filter are shiny stainless steel? 8)

Cheers
DrSmurto
drsmurto

Postby Fents » Wednesday Nov 21, 2007 4:56 pm

Why do you need to filter hops? All my hops end up on the bottom with trub after a whirlpool...

Refractomoter is ok but bit of a PITA converting brix to OG's...guess it will go alright when you learn all the conversion. Well aware that hydro's waster more beer but only if you dont drink it ;)

I would of gone for the stand - im sick of brewing on the outdoor setting / decking too. Everything else other than the stand will come later.(im assuming you have a mash tun, kettle, hlt and good burner).

Plus refracs and digi therm's you can ask for birthdays/fathersday/xmas pressies, people generally wont make a stand for you for a pressie tho. just my 2c.
Fents

Postby lethaldog » Wednesday Nov 21, 2007 5:18 pm

Fents wrote:Why do you need to filter hops? All my hops end up on the bottom with trub after a whirlpool...

Refractomoter is ok but bit of a PITA converting brix to OG's...guess it will go alright when you learn all the conversion. Well aware that hydro's waster more beer but only if you dont drink it ;)

I would of gone for the stand - im sick of brewing on the outdoor setting / decking too. Everything else other than the stand will come later.(im assuming you have a mash tun, kettle, hlt and good burner).

Plus refracs and digi therm's you can ask for birthdays/fathersday/xmas pressies, people generally wont make a stand for you for a pressie tho. just my 2c.

How hard is it to convert brix, just x4 mate, if your reading is 4 brix then it is 1.016 on the hydro, pretty simple hey :wink: :lol: :lol:
Cheers
Leigh
lethaldog

Postby drsmurto » Thursday Nov 22, 2007 10:20 am

Most of the hops stay in the bottom of the kettle but cleaning a plate chiller is harder than a CFWC. Being more anal about making sure 4/5ths fo FA gets into the chiller helps with maintenance.

Having a chiller was just too high on my list of priorities. Yes, i always drank the hydro samples but i have 5L glass demi johns so taking gravity readings just got a lot easier!

I agree with the stand - am starting to see a bow in the outdoor setting which my partner hasnt noticed yet. Wont be long before we need ti use it for its designed purpose and then i will have to resort to crates and the top of fridges!

Cheers
DrSmurto
drsmurto

Return to Grain brewing