My first own recipe all grain!

Methods, ingredients, advice and equipment specific to all-grain (mash), partial mash (mini mash) and "brew in a bag" (BIAB) brewing.

Postby blandy » Saturday Mar 10, 2007 7:09 pm

Hi again everyone!

Today we bottled the IPA and tasted the bitter (now 2 weeks in the bottles).

As for the IPA, it's coming along nicely. At first I thought it was pretty weak, but then I realised that I'd just gargled Listerine to sanitise my mouth before racking for the bulk prime, so my taste buds needed a bit of a breather. After a few minutes I came tp the conclusion that this beer would be capable of knocking off the most stubborn of socks. Very bitter, nothing in small quantities.

The bitter is showing lots of potential. This is my 5th beer done with liquid yeast now, and I can definately pick the differences due to the better quality (and not just by chance). Lots of hop flavour and bitterness (not as much as the IPA though0, both interesting and capable of being a session beer. First time for using roasted barley, and was happy to see the deep red colour that I've read it produces.

Next up:
- Replenish wine stocks (Vinter's Reserve Shiraz)
- brew beer for end-of semester party at Uni (maybe with Fido the 3rd)
- MUST do a pilsener or three in the winter, and maybe another Rauchbier.

Thanks everyone for the input with IBU calculations etc. That's what makes this forum great. :D :D :D :D
I left my fermenter in my other pants
blandy

Postby blandy » Saturday Mar 17, 2007 5:56 pm

Tasting update :D :D :D

- The bitter is getting all delicious and imbibed, so I'd better make sure I put some under the house for ageing.

- Tasted the IPA for the first time today. I think the best description for it is :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :D . It's like two beers combined into the space of one! I guess that's what to expect when you use twice the malt, get twice the alcyhol and bitterness.

Anyway, HUGE beer that definately felt like two. Head retention pretty good considering only two weeks old and 8.6% abv. darkish red colour, probably used too much crystal grain for a pale ale, but who cares? Dad didn't like it, so all the more for me!
blandy

Postby KIP » Tuesday May 29, 2007 5:31 pm

Blandy, I hope the IPA came out well.

Thanks to all for this educational and informative thread.

I haven't made a single batch of HB yet, so I am certainly no expert, but I'd like to offer my opinion for anyone who cares. When I was reading John Palmer's book, I got the impression that IBUs were a standard of sorts. (Sure, the IBU calculation is only an estimate; after all, few or none of us are chemists, and we want this to be a relaxing hobby. If we wanted it to be complicated, I'm sure we could come up with some nice, chewy differential equations, but simplifying the math is what charts, and especially computers, are good for.)

As I read this thread, though, I get the profound impression that there really is no <i>standard</i> at all in the true sense of the word. The various IBU computation methods mentioned in the following quote yield some pretty significant differences:

chris. wrote:(from http://brewingtechniques.com/library/ba ... iller.html)

One of the first IBU formulas for amateur brewers that I know of was published by Byron Burch (4). This formula predicted an IBU level of 45.6 for the HBD Palexperiment beer. Jackie Rager's seminal work, which has formed the basis for many subsequent efforts, estimated an IBU level of 53.5 (5). Greg Noonan's well-regarded methodology predicts 56.9(6). Mark Garetz's popular formulation, which he based on Rager's work, gave 41 IBUs (7).* Glenn Tinseth's approach, which makes very different assumptions than the other commonly-used formulas, generated an IBU level of 48 (8 ). Ray Daniels' approach, which uses the basic Rager formula but with separate and more comprehensive utilization charts for whole and pellet hops, predicted that the IBU level would be 67.9 (3). But the top place in the HBD Palexperiment IBU sweepstakes goes to a fiendishly simple little device created by Randy Mosher known as "Dr. Bob Technical's Incredible Hop Go Round" (Alephenalia Publications, Seattle, Washington). This slide-rule device estimated the IBUs for the beer in question at 61.# (The Palexperiment hopping schedule is shown on page 21.)[/i]
http://brewingtechniques.com/library/ba ... onham.html

Wow...on the low end, you have 41 IBU, with 67.9 IBU on the high end. That wide a variance in beers would be quite perceptible to the taste buds, I'd think. How is someone going to know what kind of IBU to expect from a recipe, given such a broad spectrum of possibilities, unless the IBU estimation method (e.g., Tinseth) is known?

Most of you blokes are really experienced, but I'm not. For just a minute, forget everything you know about IBUs, software, books, etc. Pretend that you're a first-time brewer without brewing software and aren't aware of, or don't know how to use, an IBU calculation chart. You want to brew an ale with an IBU of approximately 35-40. Sierra Nevada's website says its Pale Ale has "37 bitterness units". They've probably used some sophisticated equipment to arrive at that value, whereas a homebrewer must perform an estimate. Anyway, you find a recipe, here or elsewhere, that says it should yield about 40 IBU, or has a computer printout attached that says 40 IBU. So, you reckon that this recipe, particularly the hops portion of this recipe, might work for you, if your utilization is representative of what is to be expected given your boil volume, boil gravity, how long you allowed the hops to boil, etc.

But wait...whose IBUs are those? If I'm understanding the problem correctly, if those are Rager IBUs as opposed to Tinseth, you might end up with an ale that's less bitter than you hoped.

Now I realize in the grand scheme of things, topics like war, world hunger, global warming, etc. are infinitely more important. And I'm sure that the beer I brew is probably going to be drinkable no matter what. But I would like to know whether the recipe I'm wanting to use should, within reason, be expected to deliver the approximately 37 IBU that I am hoping for. It seems to me that without standardization in the methodology and without knowing whose method was used in estimating IBU, there's no real way to know.

I wish that the HB community could and would decide upon an IBU calculation method as a standard and adhere to it. But from what I've read here, that doesn't even sound possible given the methods we have. E.g., the Rager method appears to be better suited to a concentrated boil whereas the Tinseth method is better suited to a full wort boil. Deciding upon one or the other as an <i>international standard</i> (which I thought was what the IBU was supposed to accomplish) would yield more accurate or less accurate estimates depending on the type of boil.

I'm sure I am pontificating over nothing here. And I certainly do not wish to impugn the good work of some well-intentioned and obviously very intelligent gentlemen, in arriving at their various IBU formulae.

But anyway, does anyone know whether in the HB community, there is a movement toward coming up with a unified standard?
KIP = Knowledge Is Power

"Maybe we'll leave come springtime/Meanwhile, have another beer/What would we do without these jerks anyway/Besides, all our friends are here." -- Don Henley, Sunset Grill
KIP

Postby blandy » Tuesday May 29, 2007 7:20 pm

Hi KIP,

Looks like you've read through pretty much this whole thread, but to summarise what I got out of it from it.

- IBU is a measurement of alpha acid concentration in beer (units mg/L)

- the calculation for a contribution to IBU is
IBU = (mass of hops in grams)x(%w/w alpha acid content)x(% utilisation)/(final volume x 10)

- to get the total IBU, you just add up all the contributions (computer software like Qbrew can do it for you)

- the difference in values we were arguing about was the numbers used for utilisation. Utilisation is mainly a function of boil gravity (NOT wort gravity when yeast is pitched, unless you boil at pitching volume) and boil time. The values for utilisation have been experimentally calculated, and different experiments have produced different results. the Rager tables, for example, have much higher values than the Tinseth tables, which was why I was getting higher results than the others.

- For homebrewers, IBU is an estimate only, but a useful tool to use to determine ballpark bitterness. Use the same scale every time, and you'll have consistent results.

- I think most people here use the Tinseth tables in their brewing software, I was the odd one out.

as for the IPA, It's about as sock-knocking-off bitter as I expected. So for me, the IBU calculation was useful.
blandy

Postby KIP » Tuesday May 29, 2007 11:14 pm

Blandy, thanks for the clarification; I think that sews up most of the gaping hole. Estimating utilisation would be where most of the differences lie.

I don't want to mislead anyone here; I fully realise that the IBU estimation formulae are still quite useful and that an individual, if he adheres to one formula, can get consistent results and/or make reasonably accurate adjustments to his recipe quantities, or in the boiling times of hops, or in the boil volume.

It's when two different brewers share recipes or suggestions (or as happened to Blandy, try to separately estimate IBUs) that the confusion starts.

The science of brewing continues to evolve. Maybe one day we'll have a more accurate method of estimating IBUs that will replace the others and allow us to more accurately communicate bitterness information with one another.

Until then, I propose that HBers, when stating IBU values, also mention the IBU formula being used, or failing that, the software or chart that was used to perform the calculation. To a large extent it appears that HBers are already citing the software they use, which is fine.

Thanks again, all, for the useful information.

Cheers,
John
KIP = Knowledge Is Power

"Maybe we'll leave come springtime/Meanwhile, have another beer/What would we do without these jerks anyway/Besides, all our friends are here." -- Don Henley, Sunset Grill
KIP

Previous

Return to Grain brewing