First partial

Methods, ingredients, advice and equipment specific to all-grain (mash), partial mash (mini mash) and "brew in a bag" (BIAB) brewing.

First partial

Postby Danzar » Friday Apr 06, 2007 5:11 pm

Hey, it's a modest start but still pretty pleased.

Mashed 500g malted barley and 500g torrefied wheat. Kept the temp to 64.5 - 67 for the hour.

Is that ok?
Jesus is coming - look busy
Danzar

Postby blandy » Saturday Apr 07, 2007 7:13 am

should be fine.

there's probably stuff in Palmer about mashing at different temps.

FWIW the last time I was at a G&G full mash demo they basically said that for homebrew purposes the infusion mash was the best way to go because most people can't heat the wort fast enough for any other methods. I've only ever done infusion mashes, and they've turned out great.
I left my fermenter in my other pants
blandy

Postby Trough Lolly » Sunday Apr 15, 2007 10:28 am

Danzar,
That's fine - you're in the zone. Here's a pic that helps explain the importance of choosing the right temp for the right brew - a high mash temp will promote starch conversion by alpha amylase enzymes into dextrins (less fermentable sugars) which provide more body as they don't completely convert and remain in the final beer. Lower mash temps promote the starch conversion by beta amylase enzymes into maltose (more fermentable sugars) which result in dryer beers with more alcohol present.
For example I mash stouts, bocks, IPA's etc at 68C and german pils, dortmunders, APA's and wheat beers at 63C...All of the experienced brewers that I've chatted with, including the current National Champion, agree on one thing - temperature control is the key to making top notch all grain beers...and that, unlike the grains, hops and yeast you buy is something that you can have a direct influence over.

Cheers,
TL
Image Image
Trough Lolly

Postby Dogger Dan » Tuesday May 29, 2007 7:58 am

Thats a nice diagram Trough Lolly.

Another point to think about to is the pH. I have played with it and it makes a huge difference to your beer. Notice it is on there too. My mashes have been 5.5 at 153 deg. I just stepped down a bit more and tried for a 5.3

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Return to Grain brewing