Bung for Mash Tun

Methods, ingredients, advice and equipment specific to all-grain (mash), partial mash (mini mash) and "brew in a bag" (BIAB) brewing.

Postby Ed » Monday Feb 12, 2007 12:47 pm

Sorry about that :lol: Looks like it's called a threaded director, but here's the bad news. I just checked the Nylex catalogue and doesn't look like they supply the nut and washer plus the fitting no longer looks to carry a shoulder so there'd be nothing to home against. In fact, doesn't even look like the same dimentions on the one I have :shock: Mine came from Mitre 10 and I don't know if it was the Nylex Gardena product, but I sure can't see it in this catalogue http://www.nylex.com.au/prod_cat/MMC207 ... x_D794.pdf

If you scroll down through that catalogue until you get to page 12, you'll see a Male Threaded elbow with a shoulder on it, which is missing on the Threaded Directer pictured below it. But again, no nuts or washers pictured.

I'm now using a bigger tun and run the copper pipe through the drain plug as in this link http://brodiescastlebrewing.com/index.p ... 9#msg10819

You might need to go to a plumbing supplier with the cooler and let them know what you're trying to acheive if you can't find something suitable at a hardware.

Cheers, Ed
So the bartender says to the horse "Why the long face?"
Ed

Re: Bung for Mash Tun

Postby lethaldog » Monday Feb 12, 2007 2:05 pm

Swifty wrote:What have other people used?
I was going to use a rubber one from the HBS but they didn't have any with 10mm holes.
What are my choices? Thinking a piece of threaded bar then putting nuts and washers either side and connecting to it, or just drilling a hole a putting a bit of 10mm hose through and using fish tank silicon for sealing? :?:
Any idea's appreciated. Was wanting to keep it simple and cheap.

Have a look at some other stores cos i have 2 of these with the holes already drilled so they are out there and they work a treat :lol: :wink:
Cheers
Leigh
lethaldog

Postby illywhacker » Monday Feb 12, 2007 9:42 pm

thanks ed.

the catalogue was a help in stopping me going out of my brain looking for the appropriate graden irrigation fitting to do the job. i was about to offer my kingdom for some sort of threaded pipe small enough to fit through the hole in my esky.

turns out a simple bung from hbs solved my problem without any further ado.

rigged up the ss braid and in a water-only trial, the tun drains like a dream.

first ag planned for wednesday.
illywhacker

Postby Ed » Monday Feb 12, 2007 11:06 pm

illywhacker wrote:..........first ag planned for wednesday.

Best of luck with it.

Cheers, Ed
So the bartender says to the horse "Why the long face?"
Ed

Previous

Return to Grain brewing