First All Grain using the Brew In A Bag Technique

Methods, ingredients, advice and equipment specific to all-grain (mash), partial mash (mini mash) and "brew in a bag" (BIAB) brewing.

First All Grain using the Brew In A Bag Technique

Postby SpillsMostOfIt » Thursday Feb 01, 2007 7:04 pm

This weekend I hope to be brewing my first All Grain brew. (Weather, energy and completion of kit permitting.)

I aim to brew an American Pale Ale of sorts, having picked up some JWM grains from G&G today (thanks to all who persuaded me away from Powells for my first brew) and some hops and yeast from Craftbrewer in the last couple of days (believe the stories about Ross' sterling customer service).

The BIAB technique is a single-vessel, full-volume mash, no-sparge technique devised by a bunch of guys who frequent the AussieHomeBrewer forum. I will be using the F-Big Boiler spotted by velophile and a 2400W immersion heater so I don't kill my benchtops. The bag is made from a close-weave nylon curtain 'sheer' (with an $18 sewing machine from the Reject Shop).

It occurred to me while making my last brew - a mini-mash partial extract affair - that the BIAB technique wasn't much more complex and didn't taste of banjos...

My first batch will be 23litres (-ish) and comprise:

4.5kg JWM Traditional Ale
0.5kg JWM Light Munich
0.25kg JWM Crystal
0.25kg JWM Wheat Malt

I will be hopping with Willamette and Amarillo Gold, aiming for mid to high 20 IBUs (depending on how efficient my mashing is). I don't want to hide the malt flavour in hops, but rather get that 'balance' that I guess everyone strives for.

I will be using either S-04 or US-56 yeast. Frankly, I haven't decided yet. I do know I will be using some Irish Moss and my filter bag.

Here's the linky for the BIAB thread: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/i ... opic=11694

I'm all excited and nervous, but open to criticism...
No Mash Tun. No Chill.

No confirmed fatalities.
SpillsMostOfIt

Postby BierMeister » Thursday Feb 01, 2007 7:11 pm

sounds like an interesting method. Simplistic to boot. I will personally stick to my own method, but keep us informed of how it all works out and any problems/good ideas you come across.

Congratulations

PS it sounds like a good receipe too.
Sounds like Beer O'clock.
BierMeister

Postby Ross » Thursday Feb 01, 2007 7:20 pm

Best of luck mate, not that you'll need it - the concept is pretty straight forward & the results fantastic. Use the US-56 yeast & ferment at 17c if you can. This yeast is nice & citrusy at low temps.

cheers Ross
http://www.craftbrewer.com.au
Hops, Grain, Yeast & Brewing Supplies
Ross

Postby velophile » Friday Feb 02, 2007 3:55 pm

The grain bill sounds good, any late hop additions?

What surface are you sitting the F-B pot on while you boil? It will get just as hot as being on the stove. You could move outside & not humidify the house with the boil off. Be sure to keep the immersion heater immersed, they can burn out otherwise.
Ride, Drink, Repeat.
velophile

Postby SpillsMostOfIt » Friday Feb 02, 2007 5:31 pm

Late hop additions - Oh Yeah! Amarillo. (Using Amarillo and Willamette for flavour/bitter). I figure I won't know the exact amounts until I get an Into The Boiler Gravity and predict a final value.

Last big boil was on a relatively cool day, so inside with all the doors open worked okay - the chimney effect carrying away the offending water.

This time, it will be outside. I've built a heavy duty extension cable with a switch in it and will sit the whole enchalada on a couple of bits of timber to keep it off the ground, while wrapping it in an old sleeping mat (no - not a ThermaRest) for niceness. I'm building a rail which will sit on the top of the FB Boiler and can hang things like the heater from. Yesterday, I made a ruler which hangs over the side. I have to make a racking cane type arrangement to help evacuate the boiler towards the end and another filter bag and I am away...
No Mash Tun. No Chill.

No confirmed fatalities.
SpillsMostOfIt

Postby Ash » Friday Feb 02, 2007 5:36 pm

BIAB makes AG sound so much easier & accessable to new brewers.

Good luck Spills, hope you don't actually live upto your name until you drink it & have had a pint or 10 :lol:
Ash

Return to Grain brewing