mash pump

Methods, ingredients, advice and equipment specific to all-grain (mash), partial mash (mini mash) and "brew in a bag" (BIAB) brewing.

mash pump

Postby mitch » Tuesday Apr 18, 2006 7:54 pm

Hey guys .

Has anyone had success with washing machine pumps for transportation in their mash setup ??
Or does anyone have any ideas on a slighty cheaper alternative to a march pump.
mitch

Postby Oliver » Saturday Apr 22, 2006 2:08 pm

Hi Mitch,

You'd want to give the pump a good clean first, as all the washing machine pumps I've ever seen have been disgusting inside. If you're using a new one, it is probably also oily inside.

Also be VERY careful. You're messing around with 240 volts, and the pumps have exposed connections. Not the safest thing you could do, I reckon.

Let us know how you get on.

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Paleman » Saturday Apr 22, 2006 3:21 pm

Mitch, i'd take Olivers hidden advice, and not use one ( for an unintended purpose )

Firstly you dont want to be using unclean gear in brewing, and most importantly you dont want to be comprimising your safety.

Take a bit longer and save a few bob for the genuine thing.
" White Wine with Roast Beef ! how dare you ? "..... " I dare because I like it ! " ....Dogger on the meaning of life.
Paleman

Postby mitch » Saturday Apr 29, 2006 10:43 pm

Thanks for the replies

Have just completed my first all grain batch using my 4 x 50 litre keg setup
HLT,MASH/LAUTER,BOILER and a fourth keg i use to circulate ice water through a heat exchanger in the boiler. Anyway i used a washing machine pump to circulate the wort through a false bottom in the mah tun to the HLT / SPARGE water tank controlled by an 2.4 KW portable immersion heater through a Digital controller . I also use a second pump to circulate the ice water . Both pumps seemed to of handled the tempreture and head fine also both pumps i got second hand for free so i thought give it a go. Cleaning was very easy both had plastic end housing that screwed off plus i can circulate sanitizer through all parts and rinse easily . So i'll let you know if it fails but if you have access to these pumps give it a go i reckon but you do need to take care with electrical connections .

cheers

MITCH
mitch

Postby beernut » Sunday Jan 21, 2007 9:25 pm

I'm happy with my March pumps.
I reckon they will last 20 or 30 years @ 20 brews a year.
Thats 20 - 30 thousand litres for about $240. Good value !
Cheers Glenn.
Just here for the Beer
beernut

Return to Grain brewing