Iodine for starch conversion test.

Methods, ingredients, advice and equipment specific to all-grain (mash), partial mash (mini mash) and "brew in a bag" (BIAB) brewing.

Iodine for starch conversion test.

Postby Chris » Friday Nov 17, 2006 10:54 am

I just ran out of my ticture of iodine, and my new HB shop doesn't stock it. What does everyone else use?

I bought some betadine antiseptic liquid, which should do the job. Any ideas?
Chris

Postby rwh » Friday Nov 17, 2006 11:06 am

Idophor should work too.
w00t!
rwh

Postby Chris » Friday Nov 17, 2006 11:11 am

I initially thought that, but wasn't sure about the effect of the phosphoric, or if the concentration of iodine was enough. More so with the later point.
Chris

Postby Duane » Friday Nov 17, 2006 11:12 am

I use Idophor as well, great stuff.
If you can't get any from your HBS, check out
a Chemist, they should stock Iodine. Not sure on price tho.
Cheers
On Tap:* Aussie ale*Schwartzbier*Kolsch
Primary: *Schwartzbier*
In Secondary: * EOB* cab/sav kit
Coming: *Schwartzbier*Doc's Irish Red
Duane

Postby rwh » Friday Nov 17, 2006 11:14 am

Well, I had some Idophor in a pot between transferring from fermenter to fermenter. The Idophor certainly showed up the fact that the pot had been imperfectly cleaned after cooking the last batch of pasta. :shock: :D

I think it took a while for the black stain to appear though... so not sure how fast it works. :?
w00t!
rwh

Postby chris. » Friday Nov 17, 2006 11:48 am

I have used iodohpor for starch conversion tests. It works OK. I believe that Iodophor is mainly Iodine with only a small phosphoric addition.
For the amount of times I've tested my mash I personally wouldn't bother buying a whole bottle of Iodine.
Last edited by chris. on Monday Oct 08, 2007 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chris.

Postby Ed » Friday Nov 17, 2006 10:03 pm

I've only ever used the Iodophor for checking and only a few times. Always was fully converted at 30 mins. Which makes me wonder; Why do I mash for 60?

Think I saw some info to say that Iodophor is just iodine and phosphoric, so that agrees with what you say chris. Any idea of the ratio of phosphoric in there? I have a bit of that laying around.

Cheers, Ed
So the bartender says to the horse "Why the long face?"
Ed

Postby chris. » Saturday Nov 18, 2006 9:05 am

Ed wrote: Any idea of the ratio of phosphoric in there?

Cheers, Ed

No clearly not :lol:
Since stating that i thought the phosphoric addition is the smaller part I've done some googling & found its the other way around. It varies due to manufacturer but on average its around 20% phosphoric - 2% iodine.

Ed wrote:I've only ever used the Iodophor for checking and only a few times. Always was fully converted at 30 mins. Which makes me wonder; Why do I mash for 60?

A good question Ed. This came up awhile back on the BN. Eric Watson from Titletown was talking about 15min mashes. It also came up on the forum:
http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/phpBB2 ... 74&start=0
Last edited by chris. on Monday Oct 08, 2007 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chris.

Postby blandy » Saturday Nov 18, 2006 9:50 am

I use Iodophor as well. Since I've got it out anyway for sanatising, it's no extra hassle to spray some in a wine glass and then put a couple of teaspoons of wort in to do the test.
I left my fermenter in my other pants
blandy

Postby Ed » Saturday Nov 18, 2006 2:17 pm

chris. wrote:No clearly not :lol:
Since stating that i thought the phosphoric addition is the smaller part I've done some googling & found its the other way around. It varies due to manufacturer but on average its around 20% phosphoric - 2% iodine.

Guess I'll stick to buying the pre-made stuff then.

chris. wrote:A good question Ed. This came up awhile back on the BN. Eric Watson from Titletown was talking about 15min mashes. It also came up on the forum:
http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/phpBB2 ... 74&start=0

Ta chris, that was interesting. I see their mash actual time remains fairly long anyway with all the recirculation. Might try a 45 min mash next time just to see what happens.

Cheers, Ed
So the bartender says to the horse "Why the long face?"
Ed

Return to Grain brewing