Where to find a 70 litre cylindrical chiller

Methods, ingredients, advice and equipment specific to all-grain (mash), partial mash (mini mash) and "brew in a bag" (BIAB) brewing.

Where to find a 70 litre cylindrical chiller

Postby fistyman » Tuesday Nov 07, 2006 11:29 am

Hey all.
I am setting up a grain brewing system and have spent many, many months researching all these posts and other websites with semi professional breweries. I don't think I can afford a HERMS system and the esky system seems to work quite well. I want to do 50 litre batches so that wont fit in the standard large rubbermaid drink container.
People use the rectangular Esky but I have heard the cylicdrical ones work better. Any thoughts for somone about to set up a good A.g system?
Also, what about mashing and sparging in the kettle with submersible elements or under pot gas fire. What works the best?
fistyman

Postby Ed » Tuesday Nov 07, 2006 2:08 pm

You won't need 70 litre tun for 50 litre batches, more like 50 to 55 litre tun. If you want to batch sparge, the rectangular coolers are fine, cylindrical is better for fly sparging.

I'd personally stay away from trying to do it all-in-one, I think you'd soon get sick of it, but if looking at saving money or space, maybe. I'd also stay away from submersion elements for holding mashing temps, it's a sure way to scorch the grain.

Cheers, Ed
So the bartender says to the horse "Why the long face?"
Ed

Postby fistyman » Tuesday Nov 07, 2006 2:14 pm

Thanks Ed for the quick feedback. Now I will look into the difference between Fly and Batch. Looks like I will do batch though as I don't want to be doing small batches.
A closed mouth gathers no foot.
fistyman

Return to Grain brewing