brewing wine

. . . and alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages other than beer and spirits. Post discussion on recipes, methods, equipment and the like about these drinks here.

brewing wine

Postby munkey » Monday Jun 06, 2005 11:10 pm

has anyone any knowlage in brewing wine, iv been tring to brew up wine for my girlfriend, and she likes it and its realy strong,
but its realy acidic, i think, its realy harsh and burns like spirit, it seams to desolve your brain two, and somehow attracts small rodents to nest on your head the next morning.

iv just been using concentrated juce from the supermarket, glucose and country wine yeast, then something like starting og of like 1130 and ending at 1000. i recan this stuff is rocket fuel judging by the estimated alcohol
i understand that the alcohol makes the hydrometer go the other way so its possible that its not as strong as the reading says,

is it basicly less alcohol and more fg? any suggestions will be appreciated.
munkey

Postby Glen Michel » Tuesday Jun 07, 2005 9:10 am

Munkey. I've tried some results from the "winexpert" range - a North american group. Tried a Chilean Merlot- very good plus a nice gewurztraminer. Try info@winexpert.com or http://www.winexpert.com. Good luck. Glen Michel.
Glen Michel

Postby Clintsc9 » Tuesday Jun 07, 2005 9:49 am

My suggestion is you can now start building the rocket. You've got the fuel ready.
http://www.spacecad.com/ :)
Clint
Clintsc9

Postby dawg waterer » Tuesday Jun 07, 2005 6:46 pm

Munkey, How long do you let the wine sit in the bottle before drinking? Young wine would be pretty rough - let it settle down for a while (and make some more in the meantime).
I don't know much about beer but I like what I know.

Visit our beery blogs at http://www.geocities.com/pyssedas
dawg waterer

Postby NTRabbit » Tuesday Jun 07, 2005 7:52 pm

Ive looked at these kits, but i think im going to stick to real wine

*looks at the $240 in 10 bottles he brought back from the Barossa in January*

Besides, im a Shiraz and Port drinker, dont have those in the kits
Het Witte Konijn
NTRabbit

Postby munkey » Tuesday Jun 07, 2005 9:23 pm

dawg waterer wrote:Munkey, How long do you let the wine sit in the bottle before drinking? Young wine would be pretty rough - let it settle down for a while (and make some more in the meantime).

as you were saying that i had instant recolections of reading something about a delayed type of fermentation, something like maltic carnt remember te name of it. anyhoo it was soething to do with my problem, and i also seam to remember reading it took mnths and months, this would reqire a pritty hefty stock of wine to do.

thanks for jogging my memory.

ps, im a zinfandall lover. also used to drink 3 botttles of port a week when i worked away. just to help me sleep :lol: :wink:
munkey

Postby Hillbilly » Friday Jun 10, 2005 7:12 pm

Hillbilly

Postby munkey » Friday Jun 10, 2005 8:36 pm

munkey

Postby Hillbilly » Friday Jun 10, 2005 11:32 pm

What goes around comes around, mess with people that ask for some honest help expect nothing less. :!:
Hillbilly

Postby the Baron » Saturday Jun 11, 2005 8:19 am

I have been asked to brew the wine for my brothers wedding at the end of the year. He wants something red that tastes better then goon were the only requirements. Any suggestions for a brand that may suit. Also A question for medicos or even pseudo-medicos for that matter, I have been requestered to make sure that the honeymoon will be as wild and pleasurable as possible (not that I will be there to be pleasureing anyone just that the wine will ensure consent of any actions) so I am wondering if those herbal aphrodisiacs actually work and how would they go in the wine. Thanks
This is the writ of the Baron, thou art truly blessed.
the Baron

Postby stevem » Saturday Jun 11, 2005 1:08 pm

Baron,
I think it is too late to make wine for the end of the year. Not enough time for the wine to mature properly.

Cheers
Steve
stevem

Postby Dogger Dan » Saturday Jun 11, 2005 11:39 pm

If it is a kit it will be fine, I would agree with fresh juice

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby munkey » Sunday Jun 12, 2005 8:44 pm

yeh i was speaking to my dad an he used to brew a lot of wine, he was saying that he used to make elderberry from kit in under a month, but was saying that when he made ones from fruit or juce from supermarket, it would take upwards of 6 months,
some things i guess you have to wait for, wine being one of them, i guess this sorta exsplains the price tag as they would almost have to have a years outlay even in cheap wines,

oh and hillbilly.
not trying to relight your fuse but, i feel that the first comment with the link was compleatly justified, if the guy in question had ran a few searches he could have found the awnser tenfold, to his origonal question,
i recolect hearing this question asked and awnsered in so many difforent lights on this forum that i assumed he possibly didnt even no a search feature exsisted. hense the link. i agree this in hignsight could have come across offensively,
but the ensuing banter from my perspective was nothing more than jest.
but you seam to have taken offence, and just to point out that if you go and read all the posts theres no abbuse rfrom me anyware,
your post is the first that borderes on abbuse, and not for the content, but the sense i get that you were genuinly offended,
munkey

Postby the Baron » Sunday Jun 12, 2005 11:31 pm

yeah I was just planning to do a kit unless people have good reason not to use them, then just print up some labels and slap them on some bottles. I am going to be reimbersed for the price of the kit so if there are expenso ones that are good then it is not problem
the Baron

Postby Dogger Dan » Monday Jun 13, 2005 12:00 am

Baron,

Kits are designed to be ready quickly.

The are comprised of 1. Concentrate
2. Fresh Juice.

The more fresh juice the more expensive the kit but better the flavour.

There a couple of things to remember when doing wine.

Always always always use Spring Water or Distilled water. Although in beer water gives your beer character, it is the opposite with wine, you want the softer more subtle flavours to come through.

The other thing is remember to degass, There is a lot of sulpher that builds up in the form H2S and if you don't de gass it, you will taste and smell it later. (They use sulpher dioxide as a preservative)

They recommend stabilizing your wine which kills the yeast off to prevent further growth or fermentation. I argue that this is more detrimental to you and the wine and can be avoided, especially if it isn't meant to grow old.

Ferment out, de gass , skip the stabilizing, drop the yeasts, filter, add some ascorbic acid to prevent oxidation, pause two three, and bottle.

Watch your temps, keep it below 70 deg for all the same reasons as beer.

Be more than happy to discuss later if you want.

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby the Baron » Monday Jun 13, 2005 12:07 am

oh, ok. so do homebrew wines from kits get better with age (6 months) or should I brew closer to the time
the Baron

Postby Dogger Dan » Monday Jun 13, 2005 3:53 am

They will improve as they mellow, but the are designed to be drank young. I would age maybe 4 months for a cheap kit, if it is an expensive kit it could stand a few more months

Dogger
Dogger Dan

Postby the Baron » Monday Jun 13, 2005 7:04 pm

allrighty, well I might set up production soon then. thanks for the replies
the Baron

Postby Sacredsite » Tuesday Jun 14, 2005 9:33 pm

munkey wrote:yeh i was speaking to my dad an he used to brew a lot of wine, he was saying that he used to make elderberry from kit in under a month, but was saying that when he made ones from fruit or juce from supermarket, it would take upwards of 6 months,
some things i guess you have to wait for, wine being one of them, i guess this sorta exsplains the price tag as they would almost have to have a years outlay even in cheap wines,

oh and hillbilly.
not trying to relight your fuse but, i feel that the first comment with the link was compleatly justified, if the guy in question had ran a few searches he could have found the awnser tenfold, to his origonal question,
i recolect hearing this question asked and awnsered in so many difforent lights on this forum that i assumed he possibly didnt even no a search feature exsisted. hense the link. i agree this in hignsight could have come across offensively,
but the ensuing banter from my perspective was nothing more than jest.
but you seam to have taken offence, and just to point out that if you go and read all the posts theres no abbuse rfrom me anyware,
your post is the first that borderes on abbuse, and not for the content, but the sense i get that you were genuinly offended,

Are you referring to my question about Kvass?. If so then I would appreciate the awnser, as since 1994-5 I have been looking on the internet and all I find are low alcohol soft drink recipes.
Until recently I had a 2nd job delivering bread on saturday nights and I could get as much black rye as I wanted.
At first I thought I was wrong, but then I realised I'd made a mistake.
Sacredsite

Postby munkey » Tuesday Jun 14, 2005 9:41 pm

im not shure what you mean, i poasted my 2 cents in the kavass thread just now, if you have fre unlimeted supplys of rye, then if i was you i would be exsperimenting, first port of call would be just upp the rye and hope it ballences itself out, if this isnt the case, then post what you think needs to changeabout it, then im shure people will have suggestions to get around unwanted flavours and brewing problems,
8) englend victorious "ashes 2005" 8)
munkey

Return to Cider, ginger beer, lemonade, wine, mead . . .