Bulk Priming?

. . . and alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages other than beer and spirits. Post discussion on recipes, methods, equipment and the like about these drinks here.

Bulk Priming?

Postby gazpachos0up » Monday Jul 16, 2007 8:52 pm

When bulk priming can you add fresh juice for more flavour?. Got a lemonade and a ginger beer on at the moment and just accuired a third fermenter for bulk priming I was gonna juice about 300g of ginger and add the juice with about 50g sugar as a bulk prime. Will this work? Will the juice ferment to create carbonation like sugar does?

Was gonna do the same with the lemonade with about 3 lemons and a bit of sugar...

Is there better ways to do this sort of thing, any info would be greatly appreciated

A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure. 8)
gazpachos0up

Postby drsmurto » Tuesday Jul 17, 2007 9:52 am

Ginger contains virtually no fermentables so i would bulk prime as usual.

Lemons will contain some sugar - best to check the side of a lemon juice bottle and see exactly how much.
drsmurto

Postby Chris » Tuesday Jul 17, 2007 10:06 am

Yeah, watch out for variability of sugar content. That is the fastest way to overcarbed or undercarbed brews.
Chris

Postby Boonie » Tuesday Jul 17, 2007 12:50 pm

Back off a bit with the sugar. IE aim for about 120g for 22-23 litres of brew.

Reason being is I aimed for 180g calculating the sugar from a Schweppes Raspberry and dex and the head was ridiculous.It was our Raspberry beer (Don't recommend it)

We double checked our calculations 2 months later and we were right, but I reckon there was more sugar in the Schweppes than written :shock: ........maybe, depending on if they are gunna sue.

Fair dinkum, I can crack one of these bottles, leave the lid off for 2 hours, and the foam pours over my Jug whilst filling. I am talking 6 inches of head :wink:
A homebrew is like a fart, only the brewer thinks it's great.
Give me a flying headbutt.......
Boonie

Postby MOFO » Thursday Jul 19, 2007 12:23 pm

Boonie,

How did that taste - with the raspberry cordial? I am going to use real raspberry - but a flash of inspiration last night (well, the two were sitting right next to each other in my kitchen) got me thinking about adding the Schweppes lime cordial to a Corona clone just for an experiment... I figure these ones are quite nice (dont know why bars continue to use such awful lime cordials as their mixers) and keep some tartiness, but I wondered how yours came out? Did you use real raspberries too - or just cordial? Which would you recommend?
MOFO

Postby Boonie » Thursday Jul 19, 2007 1:25 pm

MOFO,

It wasn't too bad at all really :wink:

A little sweet and you can definately taste the raspberry. I have not used real raspberries only strawberries (cherries are next).

Fruit is better, but the taste stays in the cordial one longer. ie does not dissipate over time.

I also had the lime Corona in my sights a while ago.

I reckon give it a go, but back off on the lime.

Looking at my recipe, I did 300ml of raspberry in the primary, then added 20ml per longneck when bottling, squirted straight in and a little sugar to 7-8 g per bottle. Look at the side of the Schweppes bottle to determine grams per ml. and adjust accordingly, but back off to say 4gm per bottle.

Cheers

Boonie
A homebrew is like a fart, only the brewer thinks it's great.
Give me a flying headbutt.......
Boonie

Return to Cider, ginger beer, lemonade, wine, mead . . .