Ginger Beer query

. . . and alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages other than beer and spirits. Post discussion on recipes, methods, equipment and the like about these drinks here.

Ginger Beer query

Postby mafman » Wednesday May 25, 2005 9:46 pm

I've read a few threads where people are making up ginger beer (and cider) kits and can't get by taste of the artificial sweetener...and this puts me off even trying.
So I was wondering whether or not using the "Buderim Ginger Refresher" (a type of cordial)product might work??
It comes in a 750ml PET bottle and the ingredients state -
Ginger syrup 70% (Sugar,ginger, water), Water, Ginger Flavour, Food Acid (330), Preservative (211) and Vegetable Gum (415).
Could this be used?? If so, what would need to be added?? What yeast?? (and keep in mind I'm trying to do this with a minimum of effort!!!)
Interested to hear your theories!!
Beer...beer...smurfing beer....you don't get drunk and it isn't dear!!!
mafman

Postby Oliver » Wednesday May 25, 2005 9:54 pm

mafman,

Sorry to disappoint, but it's unlikely to work due to the preservative and food acid 330 (which is citric acid).

I've heard of people trying to ferment, for instance, red cordial, and it hasn't worked.

See this thread http://www.homebrewandbeer.com/forum/vi ... .php?t=815 for a similar problem.

I'd be putting some ginger through a juicer, then adding that to the fermenter with the other ginger beer ingredients. See http://www.homebrewandbeer.com/forum/vi ... .php?t=332 for a recipe.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Clintsc9 » Sunday May 29, 2005 7:09 pm

I've done a couple now and find the ginger flavour improves markedly if I throw a 220g packet of Buderim Ginger Chips into the fermenter.
Make sure it is the chips as they are tiny and have lots of surface area.
They are made of only ginger and sugar with no addatives.

Does cause a small blockage problem when bottling, but I only have to pull out and empty the filler valve a couple of times during bottling.
Clint
Clintsc9

Postby mafman » Sunday May 29, 2005 8:35 pm

Clintsc9.......Are you using one of the kits??
Beer...beer...smurfing beer....you don't get drunk and it isn't dear!!!
mafman

Postby Clintsc9 » Monday Jun 06, 2005 4:47 pm

Maf, the Brigalow kit with raw sugar.

Recently bottled a Coopers kit the same way so will compare in the next couple of weeks.
I put down the Coopers kit, then came inside and read in these forums where Oliver was not overly impressed. Damn. Got to give it a go tho'.
Clint
Clintsc9

Return to Cider, ginger beer, lemonade, wine, mead . . .