Mead

. . . and alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages other than beer and spirits. Post discussion on recipes, methods, equipment and the like about these drinks here.

Postby 111222333 » Wednesday Sep 28, 2005 2:33 pm

irish moss is also known as finnigs if im not mistaken. may be it is that irish moss is a finning?? cant recall. any way it's only to clear your mead.

keep it reel

Ps ill take a highway to any stairway any day :wink:

Postby Dogger Dan » Thursday Sep 29, 2005 2:40 am

No, Irish Moss is Caragean, finings are from cartlidge and they are used at different times

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby undercover1 » Thursday Sep 29, 2005 8:48 am

All you ever wanted to know about Irish moss here- http://www.philexport.org/members/siap/intro.htm

A sample for those who can't be arsed to read the whole thing:
Carrageenan is the name given to a family of linear sulfated food grade polysaccharides obtained from the red seaweeds. They have the unique ability to form an almost infinite variety of gels at room temperature, rigid or compliant, tough or tender with high or low melting point. The gelation requires no refrigeration and the gels can be made stable through repeated freeze-thaw cycles. Carrageenan solutions will thicken, suspend and stabilize particulates as well as collodial dispersions and water/oil emulsions. The solutions shear thin (providing ease of pumping), but quickly rebuild viscosity and suspending power on standing.

And finings- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isinglass

Enjoy. As an added bonus the wiki link includes a link to a list of vegetarian beers, for anyone who's interested.
Salut!
undercover1

Postby Dogger Dan » Thursday Sep 29, 2005 10:06 am

Spelling has never been my strong point, is there a spell checker on this? :oops:

And actually, there is way more than I ever wanted to know. :wink:

Thanks UC1

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby gregb » Thursday Sep 29, 2005 12:05 pm

UC1,

Aren't nearly all beers vegetarian (that's why they are so good for you :lol: ) or do the Vegetarian nazis define yeast as an animal and therefore beer is an animal product.

Malt - from a plant
Hops - from a plant
Water - not meat.
Yeast - ???

Cheers,

Greg
gregb

Postby Oliver » Thursday Sep 29, 2005 12:27 pm

gregb wrote:Aren't nearly all beers vegetarian ...

Greg,

I think the problems start if isinglass (from a fish) or gelatin (from some of our hoofed friends) is used as finings.

I can't think where else animal products would be used in the manufacture of beer.

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby undercover1 » Thursday Sep 29, 2005 12:31 pm

Gregb,
You really need to read what the veggie list is all about-
Most beers, unfortunately, are not labelled as being suitable for vegetarians. Not content with the "ignorance is bliss" attitude that I suspect the brewers are trying to cultivate by not labelling their products, I have started creating a list of those which I am sure are vegetarian, i.e. do not contain animal products or use them in the production process. The evidence for my evaluation of each drink is also listed; references to e-mails link to the text of the reply that I have received from the brewery

He emailed a bunch of (mainly UK) brewers asking if they use isinglass (derived from fish) or animal gelatin in their brews. he got a lot of very polite replies, too.

This guy obviously has a lot of time on his hands.
Salut!
undercover1

Postby gregb » Thursday Sep 29, 2005 12:45 pm

Thanks Guys, had totally overlooked finings - probably because I never use them.

Cheers,
Greg
gregb

Postby bobbioli » Tuesday Nov 01, 2005 8:50 am

OK I have followed Doggers rec. sorta close. Since I had no access to irish moss I had to use a clearing agent derived from shellfish. As I am going to carbonate with brown suger and this of corse needs a bit a yeast, will there be enough yeast left in circulation to do this. Pretty sure I'm going to bottle this weekend so any advise would help. Just an extra, the last couple of lagers I have made oh man they have turned out great with some hallert. hops :D
I like beer oh yes I do. doo daa doo daa. I like beer oh yes I do. oh daa doo daa day
bobbioli

Postby Dogger Dan » Tuesday Nov 01, 2005 11:35 am

Should be cool if you used champagne yeast. SPeaking of mead, I just got 5 dollars off 3 kg honey. I aquired 15 kg. Hmmm what to do, what to do.
:wink:
Dogger
Dogger Dan

Postby Oliver » Thursday Nov 03, 2005 9:07 am

Dogger,

You shouldn't need to add extra yeast, should you?

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Dogger Dan » Friday Nov 04, 2005 3:32 am

If you used a good champagne yeast no. If I make a big heavy Barleywine for example I will ferment it with an ale yeast but then may have to add a champagne yeast to get it to carbonate as I am running top end of the ale yeast.

Dogger
Dogger Dan

Postby Oliver » Friday Nov 04, 2005 10:04 am

Dogger,

In that case you'd add the champagne yeast and let it ferment for a while longer before bottling, wouldn't you?

If you added the yeast and bottled immediately, I'd think you'd risk exploding bottles?

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Dogger Dan » Saturday Nov 05, 2005 3:11 am

Oliver,

Yes definatly, a few days before you are ready to bottle pitch the champagne yeast then wait until your SG is reading constant, no different than with a beer

Dogger
Dogger Dan

Previous

Return to Cider, ginger beer, lemonade, wine, mead . . .