Hefe dunkel?

Suggest or request any recipes for a particular beer or style of beer. Post all recipes here, including kit, partial mash and all-grain.

Hefe dunkel?

Postby Lachy » Monday Feb 23, 2009 9:24 pm

G'day guys... as I type this, I'm drinking a Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier Dunkel, and man, it is a seriously good drop.

Has anyone got any kit/extract recipes for something similar?
Lachy

Re: Hefe dunkel?

Postby drsmurto » Tuesday Feb 24, 2009 9:31 am

I havent made a dunkel weizen but i have a recipe copied from Adelaide's master weizen brewer......DrGonzo.

Converted it back to a K&B and making a few adjustments gives me this

1 can Thomas Coopers Wheat beer (the brewmaster series)
1 can Coopers Liquid Wheat Malt (1.5kg)
200g Caramunich I
100g Chocolate Wheat
15g Hallertau Mittlefreuh
Yeast - WB06 or Danstar Munich (if liquid - Wyeast 3068)

Usual procedure for steeping the grains.

I wouldnt boil the hallertau, just steep it for 5 mins and throw it in the fermenter.

ie. boil the liquor from steeping the grains for 15 mins and then turn the heat off. Add the hops and let it steep for 5 mins then throw it into the fermenter with all the malt and top up to 20L. Ferment at 18-20C. Prime high for this style, its meant to be fizzy. For 20L i would use 160g of dex bulk primed.

If you want a mini-mash, partial or AG recipe let me know. The AG i have is a triple decoction - DrGonzo wouldnt have it any other way and who am i to question the master?

I will confess that this is a best guess and the AG recipe i have contains 35% munich which is available to K&K brewers but at a premium.

Having recently acquired some Wyeast 3068 and chocolate wheat this is nearing the pointy end of my to-brew-list!

Cheers
DrSmurto
drsmurto

Re: Hefe dunkel?

Postby Lachy » Tuesday Feb 24, 2009 12:40 pm

Cheers for that kit recipe, mate. That looks delicious. :D
Lachy

Return to Recipes