15 minute Nelson Sauvin lager

Suggest or request any recipes for a particular beer or style of beer. Post all recipes here, including kit, partial mash and all-grain.

15 minute Nelson Sauvin lager

Postby timmy » Sunday Apr 20, 2008 12:22 pm

Hi all,

Put this down last night after being inspired by the 15 minute amarillo ale done by the guys on Basic Brewing:

1.5kg LDME
20g NS (12.6%AA) 15 mins
20g NS 5 mins
12L
S-23 yeast

Should come out to high 20's IBUs. My last NS ale attempt was a bit too bitter for my liking so I'm trying to highlight the passionfruit flavour/aroma of this hop.

I might dry hop with another 10g or so at racking. Looking for something like a Knappstein but couldn't be arsed mashing. Will post back with the results in a month or so.

Cheers,
Tim
timmy

Re: 15 minute Nelson Sauvin lager

Postby drsmurto » Monday Apr 21, 2008 11:56 am

Assuming you are doing a full 12L+ boil with all of the LDME added i get 35 IBUs.

Will be tasty tho!
drsmurto

Postby pixelboy » Tuesday Apr 22, 2008 11:05 am

yeah looks tasty to me too :D
pixelboy

Postby StuTee » Tuesday Apr 22, 2008 7:13 pm

yeah that looks nice and easy...
I'm keen to have a dip at this hop, let us know how it goes. Still can't get over Knappstein...
StuTee

Postby timmy » Thursday May 08, 2008 10:49 am

Bottled this one last night.

The fruity flavours weren't that obvious from the hydro sample but the bitterness was definitely there. I should have dry-hopped but there's always next time. I only ended up with 9L so it shouldn't last too long anyway.

Will post back when I've sampled the finished product.

If it ends up good I'll give it a try using BIAB...

Cheers,

Tim
timmy

Postby timmy » Monday May 26, 2008 10:50 am

I had a crack at one of these over the weekend.

It came out really well - nice amount of bitterness and great body. It could have used a dry hop addition because I wasn't getting anywhere near the amount of passionfruit flavours and aromas as a Knappstein.

Definately one to try if you're a fan of NS.

Cheers,

Tim
timmy

Postby pixelboy » Monday May 26, 2008 2:04 pm

or just double the 5min addition :)
pixelboy

Postby Boonie » Tuesday May 27, 2008 12:38 pm

I am going to do this tonight.

I have had the ingredients ready for ages just waiting on the results from Timmy.

I was thinking this
1.5kg Morgans Pale Malt Liquid Extract
30g NS (12.6%AA) 15 mins
30g NS 5 mins
12L
S-23 yeast

Maybe 100g Crystal Malt Steeped?? Thoughts??

This is all subject to me getting on Brewsmith tonight and working out the IBU's etc.....

I plan to do a small batch like Timmy and get it right, then double it for the 23 Litre batch afterwards.....I hate making small batches because if they are nice, they do not last long in the kegs. That's about 30 Schooners based on 11 Litres....maybe I'll just have to drink middies, it will last longer :lol: .

EDIT Just read Docs post on the IBU's.....May have to rethink and dry hop a fair bit.

Cheers

Boonie
A homebrew is like a fart, only the brewer thinks it's great.
Give me a flying headbutt.......
Boonie

Postby James L » Tuesday May 27, 2008 1:39 pm

hmmm...

Depending on how you boil the batch will seriously determine the bitterness.

If you boil say 500g malt with the hops in 4L of water to create the same ratio of malt to water as what will be in the final 12L mix and add the 30g of hops at each interval, you'll get IBUs around 53.5 which is way too high.

If you chuck all the malt in the 4L boil, you'll get IBUs around 24.5 which is good, but a waste of hops.

if you do a 6L boil you get 36.2 IBUS which is ok, but is still a waste of hops.

If i were you, i'd boil 500g of malt in 4L of water and only add 20g of hops at 15mins and at 5 minutes. that'll give you IBUS around 35.6. then add the rest of the malt a minute or two before flameout.

I think adding crystal could be ok.
I freely admit that I was Very Very Drunk....
"They speak of my drinking, but never consider my thirst."
James L

Postby pixelboy » Tuesday May 27, 2008 5:13 pm

Boonie, Just throw in some LDME or another tin and do a 23l batch..

either way its gunna be a nice drinking beer, maybe not a Knappstein but its still gunna disappear outta yer glass fast.

Life is too short for small batches !
pixelboy

Postby Boonie » Tuesday May 27, 2008 7:35 pm

OK, above is what I plan to do in the next 30 Minutes.

pixelboy wrote:Boonie, Just throw in some LDME or another tin and do a 23l batch..

either way its gunna be a nice drinking beer, maybe not a Knappstein but its still gunna disappear outta yer glass fast.

Life is too short for small batches !

I would have but arrived home to only 1 can of extract. :cry: and all I have is 1kg of Wheat Malt to boot.

James L wrote:hmmm...

Depending on how you boil the batch will seriously determine the bitterness.

If you boil say 500g malt with the hops in 4L of water to create the same ratio of malt to water as what will be in the final 12L mix and add the 30g of hops at each interval, you'll get IBUs around 53.5 which is way too high.

If you chuck all the malt in the 4L boil, you'll get IBUs around 24.5 which is good, but a waste of hops.

if you do a 6L boil you get 36.2 IBUS which is ok, but is still a waste of hops.

If i were you, i'd boil 500g of malt in 4L of water and only add 20g of hops at 15mins and at 5 minutes. that'll give you IBUS around 35.6. then add the rest of the malt a minute or two before flameout.

I think adding crystal could be ok.

Cheers James L....the hops were higher than first thought. I decided to boil the lot as I have a pot large enough. I probably should have added some more water to allow for evaporation.........at this minute I will stick to this unless anyone has some ideas?

Cheers

Boonie
Boonie

Postby drsmurto » Wednesday May 28, 2008 12:09 pm

I realise its a bit late but Ross does a Nelson Sauvin Summer Ale with is just basically pale and wheat with all NS so you could have easily thrown the kg of wheat in there.
drsmurto

Postby tazman67 » Wednesday May 28, 2008 9:18 pm

Sorry a bit off topic....

I did Ross's Nelson Sauvin Summer Ale for my first AG.
Great results from a great recipe.. Thanks Ross for the sharing the recipe. this will be my summer drinking ale.

Great color, good head and the ale just shows off the Nelson Sauvin in all areas. :D
Could use this as a base ale recipe for other hops ??

I brew the beer I drink
tazman67

Postby Boonie » Thursday May 29, 2008 12:21 pm

drsmurto wrote:I realise its a bit late but Ross does a Nelson Sauvin Summer Ale with is just basically pale and wheat with all NS so you could have easily thrown the kg of wheat in there.

Funnily enough, I have not done it yet as my mate called me round to help him lift some concrete slabs into his trailer to go to the tip and last night I could not be bothered :shock: , yep I was knackered.

I will redo the Beersmith when I get home to Include the Wheatmalt and the can....I also bought an extra can yesterday arvo to increase the batch size...Think I will go with the wheatmalt rater than the extra can.

EDIT I have been fairly lazy with my HB of late as I have a shiteload of Stock.....The bottles are slowly dwindling. I put down a Fresh Wort Kit Porter last night as it takes me about 10 Minutes tops. I hate winter, I think that is the problem. :cry: Anyway, I will do the 15 Minute NS tonight....promise :D

Cheers

Boonie
Boonie

Postby James L » Thursday May 29, 2008 1:18 pm

in the short time that i ahve been AGing, i have found that one of the best parts of the whole experience is keeping yourself warm next to the boiling brew kettle.. expecially if its cold, and especially after you have added the hops...
I freely admit that I was Very Very Drunk....
"They speak of my drinking, but never consider my thirst."
James L

Postby hoohaaman » Thursday May 29, 2008 11:06 pm

Doing it now :D

Got to rush,my 30 min ns addition is due :lol:
hoohaaman

Postby kiwijimbob » Friday Jun 13, 2008 2:00 pm

I am going to try the following recipe tomorrow. Just wondering if anyone has any feedback/suggestions to improve it:

23L Batch

3kg LDME
200g Crystal steeped
30g Nelson Sauvin (12.6%AA) @ 20min
30g Nelson Sauvin @ 5min
30g Nelson Sauvin @ dry hopped
Saflager

Boil 4L with water from crystal and 500g LDME

Gives me 31 IBUs and alcohol of around 4.5%

What do you think guys?
kiwijimbob

Postby Boonie » Saturday Jun 14, 2008 2:27 pm

Well I am ready to keg mine after 2 weeks and :shock: I have not racked it. :lol:

Unfortunately it appears my gas has run out and by the time I was back from Soccer, the store was closed. :evil:

Out of the Keg is tastes very Fruity.....passionfruit flavour is very much at the forefront....mind you, it is still sitting at 17 degrees.

I will post the recipe once I extract Beersmith from my dead computer and transfer to my new laptop.

Cheers

Boonie
Boonie

Postby kiwijimbob » Friday Jul 04, 2008 12:03 pm

I racked mine and added the final lot of hops this week. It's now in the coolroom at work at 2c lagering for about 6 weeks if I can hold out.

From the sample I took for an SG reading (prior to final hop addition) I am VERY excited about this beer. Loads of passionfruit flavours coming through. I can't wait (although I will have to) to try this one as a finished beer!
kiwijimbob

Next

Return to Recipes