Recipe help

Suggest or request any recipes for a particular beer or style of beer. Post all recipes here, including kit, partial mash and all-grain.

Recipe help

Postby ira » Tuesday Apr 17, 2012 10:35 am

Hi all,

I'm keen to try a recipe I found in the 2011 Summer edition homebew magazine which is a Christmas brew.

In the ingredients list, it lists a 1.7kg can of Black Rock light malt extract, and 3 cups of honey, as well as 2 cans of cherries with plenty of syrup.

Yet in the instructions, it says 'add 2 cans of malt extract....' even though only 1 is listed in the ingredients list. Is it safe to assume the instructions were the typo, and I should only need the one can?
If it helps, the ABV is 6.1% so I'm assuming the 1 can of malt, the 3 cups of honey, and the cherries will produce that sort of ABV. Am I right in my assumption?
The cans of cherries I bought are 760g each, would those be a good size?
And my last question is: I haven't been able to find any Black Rock light malt extract as it's a New Zealand brand and I'm in Australia. What would be the best comparable? Are most light malts similar enough?

Thanks for the help!
ira

Re: Recipe help

Postby barrelboy » Tuesday Apr 17, 2012 11:13 am

Hi ira and welcome. Would you believe I have this magazine which I borrowed from the library last week! The two cans they refer is the Blackrock light unhopped light malt and either the can of Brewtec Premium Draught or Tooheys Real Draught. I think you can get the Blackrock from Brewcraft. As for the cheery tins I would have thought 2 x about 400gms therefore 1 at 760, but Im not sure. Hope this helps.
Cheers BB
A barrel a day keeps the doctor away. Drink more piss.
barrelboy

Postby ira » Tuesday Apr 17, 2012 11:21 am

Thanks for your help!

I did read somewhere that ideally 5-10% (which I guess is 1-2kg?) of fruit should be added for fruity beers. But I suppose with all the other ingredients, the cherries aren't the only flavour in this one.
ira

Postby ira » Tuesday Apr 17, 2012 11:38 am

Also, I dont want to pay shipping by buying malt online, but I have about 3 local homebrew shops at my dispense.
ira

Recipe help

Postby bullfrog » Tuesday Apr 17, 2012 12:05 pm

Just sub it for 1.7kg of any light malt extract. They're all pretty much the same deal.
bullfrog

Return to Recipes